As near as I can tell my favorite apple tree is a ‘Honey Crisp’.
It’s apples are sweet with just enough tart to make your mouth water. We had so many apples this year I decided we just had to find a use.
Crockpot Apple Butter
Having never tasted apple butter, I have very little idea if a no sugar recipe is good or bad. But here goes:
6 quarts apple, sliced peeled (~20 tennis ball/smaller sized apples)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed clove
1/4 cup water
You can add sugar later if needed
Makes: ~ 6 pints
(I used 12 oz, decorative jelly jars)
- Fill up a 6 quart crockpot mounding if needed.
- Add all ingredients
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours
- Stir occasionally
- After 6 hours use hand mixer to begin purée. You will have applesauce at this point.
- Continue cooking on low up to another 8 hours.
- 6-8 pint jars, sanitized
- Keep jars/lids warm
- Water bath deep enough to cover 6 pint jars
- 1/2 inch head room
- Remove air bubbles
- At 5,000 foot need to keep in bath 20 minutes